September 7, 2016
Congress returns from its summer recess today for its final weeks in session before the 2016 election. Among the crucial pieces of unfinished legislative business before the House and Senate is passing Perkins reauthorization.
As we reported in July, the House Education and the Workforce Committee voted unanimously to approve the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act, which is the first comprehensive Perkins reauthorization bill to be considered by Congress in a decade. While committee passage of this legislation marked an important first step in Perkins reauthorization, lawmakers must act soon to capitalize on this momentum and finish this important work.
In the coming weeks, Congress has the opportunity to build on the progress that has already been made and bring Perkins reauthorization across the finish line to enact the improvements that were made in the House bill. We need the help of CTE advocates nationwide to achieve that goal. Please take a few minutes to contact your Members of Congress and let them know that it time to make comprehensive Perkins reauthorization a reality!
- Use our online congressional directory to find your Members of Congress.
- Contact your Senators and Representative using the CTE Action Center or by phone through the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121.
- Let them know that there is broad bipartisan support for key reforms included in Perkins reauthorization legislation, and that a reauthorized bill will help you better serve students and meet employer needs.
- Ask them not to waste this opportunity to make improvements to this critical education and workforce training legislation.
- Tell them it is time to make comprehensive Perkins reauthorization a reality!