If you’ve decided to pursue a career in the trades, you probably already know the tuition for your education to prepare for a job as a plumber, electrician, or HVAC technician can be $65,000 less and two years shorter than the usual college degree. And, the good news about tuition can get even better.
Besides the fact that many of the jobs in the trades offer apprenticeship programs so you earn while you learn, there are also scholarships available.
The Nexstar Legacy Foundation
The information on this website is brought to you by the Nexstar Legacy Foundation. It was founded in 2005 to help connect talented individuals with the PHCE industry. One of these resources is a scholarship program, which helps fund further education for young adults – as well as veterans – who want to pursue careers as plumbers, electricians, and HVAC technicians.
Apply for these Scholarships
There are currently eight scholarships available – with awards of up to $6,000. Some are specific to veterans, while others may have other specific requirements. Here’s a quick rundown of the scholarships available. Click on each one for details and a link to apply.
- 2018 AC Pro Veterans Scholarship: The AC Pro Veteran Scholarship is focused on individuals planning to pursue a career in the HVAC industry. Two scholarships will be available in the amount of $5,000 each.
- 2018 Diversity in Plumbing, HVAC and Electrical Scholarship: This scholarship will be awarded to an individual demonstrating financial need from a traditionally underrepresented community in PHCE industries: females, multi-racial/ethnic individuals and individuals from the African-American, Asian, Hispanic/Latino, and indigenous/Native American communities. The amount of the scholarship is $3,500.
- 2018 Frank Blau, Jr. Management Scholarship: Named for Nexstar Network’s founder, Frank Blau, Jr., this scholarship will be awarded to a student enrolled in – or is registered to enroll in – a business-related degree program at a four-year college or university. The amount of the scholarship is $6,000.
- 2018 George Brazil Technician Scholarship: Named in memory of George Brazil, a founder of the Nexstar Network, this scholarship will be awarded to an individual pursuing their career in the residential skilled trades of plumbing, heating and cooling, or electrical. Students may be currently enrolled in, or planning to enroll, in a trade school program or registered apprenticeship. The scholarship amount is $5,000.
- 2018 Jill Reed Women in Marketing Scholarship: The Jill Reed Women in Marketing is dedicated to women pursuing a degree in marketing from a four-year college or university. Preference will be given to those who are interested in working in the plumbing, HVAC or electrical industries. The scholarship is $2,000.
- 2018 Pat Langlin Brazil Women in the Trades Scholarship: This scholarship will be awarded to a female pursuing a career in the residential skilled trades of plumbing, heating and cooling or electrical. The recipient must be enrolled – or registered to enroll – in a trade school program or registered apprenticeship. The scholarship amount is $5,000.
- 2018 Troops to Trades Training Grant and Scholarship: Scholarship and training grant dollars are available for United States and Canadian veterans who are looking to pursue a career in the skilled trade of heating and cooling (HVAC). Applications are reviewed at the close of each month. Scholarships awarded are $2,000 each.
- 2018 Veterans in Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electrical Scholarship: The Veterans in Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electrical (PHCE) Scholarship will be awarded to a veteran who has been honorably discharged from the United State or Canadian Armed Services, National Guard or Reserves. It will be awarded to one recipient who is planning to enroll – or is currently enrolled – in a PHCE training program or apprenticeship. The amount of this scholarship is $3,500.
Use this link to access our scholarship page. Click on each one for details and a link to apply. Many of these scholarships have an application deadline of August 1, so apply as soon as possible.